Monday, 21 July 2014

LIFE'S SIMPLE PLEASURES

"Black Beauty" on the right
Not long after my Dad passed away, I was helping my Mum clean up her house ready to sell it. In the bathroom I found Dad's old Gillette safety razor. It was this style of razor that he first taught me how to shave with. So, I decided to hang onto the razor and bought some double edge blades, some shave soap and decided to give it a try again. I must admit the first attempt was not pretty - cuts on my neck and chin, which took forever to stop bleeding.

After some research on the internet to remind myself of the correct technique I persevered. I also bought a different brand of blades because the ones I initially purchased were the sharpest on the market and not recommended for a beginner.

My next few attempts improved a lot, no nicks, a close shave and no nasty, red, razor burn afterward. I liked the "smooth as a baby's bum" feel after the shave and my face felt really fresh.

So, I did some more research and found a brand of wet shaving products, made in Italy, that are highly recommended by wet shaving enthusiasts. For the past few months I have been using Dad's Gillette "Black Beauty" (no I did not make that up, that really is the model name from the 1970's), plus a range of Proraso products, their shaving soap, pre and post shave cream and alum block. 

Each morning I now look and smell like I had a trip to an old time barber shop. Admittedly my morning shave routine has increased from about 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Previously, I would slap on some shave oil and then whip across my face with a cartridge razor. The result was ok. Now, I apply a warm face washer, followed by pre-shave cream, then lather up with the shave soap in a tub and a natural bristle shave brush. After about three passes across my face, I rinse with cold water, rub the alum block across my face, apply post-shave cream and "voilĂ " my old face feels as soft as a baby's bum. Not only that I have a nice reminder of my Dad every morning as I get ready for a new day.


No comments:

Post a Comment